Senior bureaucrat Michael Caltabiano sacked

Department of Transport and Main Roads director-General Michael Caltabiano has been sacked.

In a statement, Queensland Premier Campbell Newman confirmed he had given Mr Caltabiano notice that his employment will be terminated from March 15.

Mr Caltabiano will remain on leave until that date but "no further comment will be made", according to the premier's statement.

Earlier, the Newman government's ethics committee chairman Peter Dowling said his committee had not received a report from the Crime and Misconduct Commission on its investigation into Transport and Main Roads director-general Michael Caltabiano.

In October 2012, Mr Caltabiano was referred to State Parliament's ethics committee for comments he made in an estimates committee hearing about Ben Gommers, son of former arts minister Ros Bates.

By November 2012, the Crime and Misconduct Commission began investigating the matter.

Mr Caltabiano told the estimates hearing in October 2012 that he knew Mr Gommers "personally" but not professionally.

Mr Gommers and his mother Ros Bates – who resigned Friday morning as a Newman government minister – both owned the lobbying firm Entree Vous.

Entree Vous business cards show Mr Caltabiano worked as a "managing partner" for Entree Vous in 2008, but Mr Caltabiano denies ever receiving any remuneration from the firm.

On Friday, Mr Dowling said his ethics committee had not received a report from the CMC into its investigations into Mr Caltabiano.

"No. The Caltabiano matter is in abeyance in the ethics committee while the CMC is conducting their inquires," Mr Dowling said.

"We will let them do their work and we will follow their work if there is anything to follow after."

Mr Dowling, who attended a meeting of the parliamentary Crime and Misconduct Commission committee this morning declined to say if he had received any progress reports on the investigation.

"It would be inappropriate for me to comment on any discussions or communications with any matter that is afoot."

He said there was timeline to the CMC inquiries.

"The CMC must be free to conduct their inquiries unfettered," he said.

In October 2012, Transport Minister Scott Emerson said Mr Caltabiano, a former Liberal Party state president, would step aside as director-general on full pay "under standard arrangements".

Fairfax Media reported on January 9, that Mr Caltabiano would have been paid more than $130,000 since being asked to stand down.

At the time, the Criminal Justice Commission declined to comment on the progress of their investigation.

"Queries raised [by Fairfax Media] ... are not matters that the CMC can comment on due to standing orders of the Legislative Assembly," a spokeswoman said.

Mr Caltabiano has always maintained the allegations would be "unsustainable" once they were fully investigated.

On Friday afternoon, Mr Newman announced the senior public servant had been sacked.

The story Senior bureaucrat Michael Caltabiano sacked first appeared on Brisbane Times.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop