AN overheated battery may have sparked a fire which destroyed a catamaran in Moreton Bay last week.
Police have not determined the cause of the blaze but Redland Bay water police Senior Constable Justin Dunn said battery problems and faulty electrical systems were often responsible for boat fires.
“It’s important to regularly maintain electrical systems and batteries, especially if you’re not using the boat all the time,” he said.
“Batteries can explode and battery chargers can fail, causing them to overheat.”
Police and firies battled the blaze for about three hours last Tuesday, May 8 from 5.30pm but their efforts were not enough to save the vessel.
The boat, which was unoccupied at the time, caught fire while it was moored in the Redland Bay channel and was engulfed by the time emergency services arrived.
For boat safety information, visit Maritime Safety Queensland here.