Late-night evacuation due to gas smell

SEVEN staff members were evacuated from a Capalaba building on Thursday night due to a strong gas smell.

Firefighters later found the smell was caused by a faulty refrigerator.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokesman said five units had responded to reports of a gas smell at a commercial building about 11.30pm.

Staff were evacuated and firefighters wearing specialist suits investigated.

QFES scientific officers were also called to the scene to conduct tests.

Paramedics assessed six patients but all declined transport to hospital.

Staff were able to go back into the building about 2am.