Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 45 mins
Ingredients for 4
- 1½ tbs olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage, diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small Jalapeno chilli, halved lengthways and chopped + extra to serve
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and finely diced
- 500g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tbs lime or lemon juice
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped + extra leaves to serve
- Sour cream, lime or lemon wedges and warmed tortillas, to serve
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tbs oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and chilli and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until onion is soft. Add capsicum and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock, cover and bring to the boil. Add beans. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, peel, deseed and chop avocado. Place into a bowl. Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss to combine. Set aside.
- Add chorizo and coriander to soup. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Serve with extra coriander leaves and jalapeno chilli, sour cream, lime wedges and tortillas.