WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT BOB HAWKE:
* "Today we lost Bob Hawke, a great Australian - many would say the greatest Australian of the post-war era ... Bob was dearly loved by his family and so many friends and colleagues. We will miss him." - Bob Hawke's wife, Blanche d'Alpuget
* "The labour movement salutes our greatest son. Australians everywhere remember and honour a man who gave so much to the country and people he cared for so deeply. May he rest in peace." - Labor leader Bill Shorten
* "Bob Hawke was a great Australian who led and served our country with passion, courage and an intellectual horsepower that made our country stronger." - Prime Minister Scott Morrison
* "The country is much the poorer for Bob Hawke's passing." - Former Labor prime minister Paul Keating
* "Bob Hawke is a giant of Australian politics ... Together with Therese and the entire nation, I mourn his passing." Former Labor prime minister Kevin Rudd
* "Bob Hawke was the greatest peacetime leader Australia has ever had. As a teenager Bob inspired me, as a PM he guided me. I will miss him. I wish so very much that Bob had been able to see one more election day." - Former Labor prime minister Julia Gillard
* "The entire union movement grieves for the passing of Bob Hawke. Medicare. Superannuation. Modern Australia. Union movement hero." - ACTU secretary Sally McManus
* "Farewell Bob Hawke a great Australian, Labor leader and reforming Prime Minister. Australia is a better place because of him. Lucy and I send our love and condolences to Blanche and all of his family." - Former Liberal prime minister Malcolm Turnbull
* "All Australians should mourn someone who changed our country for the better because he was always prepared to argue his case, even if it meant first persuading key people on his own side." - Former Liberal prime minister Tony Abbott
* "So very sad to hear my mate and former constituent, and my parents' neighbour, Bob Hawke, has passed away. He was a legend in so many ways. Our love to Blanche and the family. Australia has lost a bloody good guy today." - Australia's ambassador to the US Joe Hockey
* "More than any other, Bob Hawke was the people's prime minister. Australians saw themselves in him and he saw himself in us." - Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews
* "Vale Bob Hawke. A giant among PMs. He had the courage to save the Franklin River when all looked lost. He got World Heritage listing of the Daintree Wet Tropics. He introduced Medicare. Legend. You'll be missed Silver Bodgie." - Greens leader Richard Di Natale
* "His efforts to bridge the gap between black and white Australia were always sincere and continued after the end of his prime ministership." - Yothu Yindi Foundation chair Galarrwuy Yunupingu.
Australian Associated Press
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.