THE Metro South Public Health Unit is working with management of Tangalooma Resort and Brisbane City Council to manage waterborne gastro-enteritis after Queensland Health was notified of more than 50 cases on Moreton Island last Wednesday, October 29.
Testing of drinking water supplies at the resort has identified bacterial contamination which is being addressed and further testing is underway.
Public Health physician Kari Jarvinen said all guests and staff had been advised to boil their drinking water or use commercially supplied bottled water until the issue was resolved.
"Anyone on the resort or anyone who has recently visited the resort should be alert for symptoms of gastro-enteritis and seek medical advice if they have concerns," he said.
"Facility management is issuing alerts to residents and guests."
Metro South Public Health Unit is not aware of any hospitalisations as a result of the issue.
Gastro is caused by bacteria and can cause nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhoea (sometimes with blood in it) and fever.
There is also a risk of dehydration, especially for children and babies, the elderly and people with serious medical conditions.
If gastro is severe or continues, even fit and healthy people can become dehydrated, so it is important to keep your fluid levels up, including using rehydration solutions.
If you are concerned about your symptoms or those of your children, it is important to seek medical advice.
For more information please contact 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit conditions.health.qld.gov.au/HealthCondition/condition/14/33/60/Gastroenteritis