Energex warns Redlands and Scenic Rim residents to stay safe while putting up Christmas lights

It's this time of year the community channels its inner Clark Griswold and begins the ritual of setting up Christmas lights, but before plugging any of them into the wall, Energex is urging those in the festive mood to put their safety first and take a few precautions.

A glittering display of Christmas lights in Sandy Drive, Victoria Point. Photo by Chris McCormack.

A glittering display of Christmas lights in Sandy Drive, Victoria Point. Photo by Chris McCormack.

Dangers such as electrocution and possible house fires caused by faulty electrical equipment are just two hazards Energex safety advisor Kevin Hore said should be at the forefront of people's minds when getting their home ready for Christmas.

"At the end of the day Christmas lights and similar decorations are still electrical appliances and people should always treat them as they would any appliance in their home," Mr Hore said.

"Most of us throw away home appliances that are damaged or faulty or have them repaired by a qualified technician. Christmas lights and decorations are no different because damaged ones can kill or start fires.

"So before plugging them in check for signs of obvious damage such as frayed cords and exposed wires.

"If you're satisfied they look in good condition then plug them in and stay with them for five or more minutes to check concealed or less obvious faults aren't at play and they're no burning smell or smoke emanating from them."

Read more local news here