Fire ban blankets Redlands until Tuesday, December 17

A LOCAL fire ban for the Redlands has been extended due to heightened fire conditions.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services announced that the ban had been extended until 11.59pm on Tuesday, December 17.

The current fire ban has been in place since November 20.

QFES said in a statement that all open fires were prohibited and all permits to light fire which had been issued in the designated areas had been cancelled.

"Heightened fire conditions are perfect for bushfires to ignite and spread quickly," QFES said.

"Power tools may be used during a local fire ban however QFES encourages people to use these with extreme care and ensure adequate equipment is available to extinguish any fire which may start.

"This may include having a person available to watch out for any ignitions that occur."

Information on fire bans and the exemptions that can apply can be found at ruralfire.qld.gov.au.

Read more local news here.