SIGNS are popping up around the Redlands as election season gets under way.
Official nomination for candidates kicked off on February 22, coinciding with Electoral Commission Queensland issuing its notice of election.
Redland City Council is currently in caretaker period. During this period, the current council will not be able to make any significant policy decisions.
Voters need to enrol by February 28, one month before election day.
Polling booths will be open between 8am and 6pm on March 28.
Early birds will be able to head to the polls before election day, with early voting open across the country from March 16.
Early voting timeframes and dates may vary from region to region and the Electoral Commission Queensland will provide more detailed, area-specific information closer to the election.
People who may be unable to get to a polling booth can also apply for a postal vote by Monday, March 16. ECQ must receive all postal votes by Tuesday, April 7.
On March 29, ECQ will start the official vote count and publish results on the ECQ website. The official count process can take up to 10 days.
Before the election, ECQ encouraged voters to:
- Check their enrolment details were up-to-date.
- Check their local government area and division. The Redlands has 10 divisions.
- Consider how they intend to vote, for example postal votes or early voting.
- Learn about how to vote properly. Local government elections in the Redlands use the optional preferential voting system.
- Consider whether they or someone in their care would need assistance when voting.
Candidates, or people considering nominating, should check their eligibility and requirements, such as online councillor training.
Current Redlands councillors and candidates include:
- Division 1 (Ormiston, Wellington Point):Wendy Boglary, Todd Reinke,
- Division 2 (Cleveland, North Stradbroke Island): Peter Mitchell, Irene Henley, Callen Sorensen-Karklis
- Division 3 (Cleveland South, Thornlands):Paul Golle, Terry Huckfield, Debbie Stone
- Division 4 (Victoria Point, Coochiemudlo Island, Redland Bay):Lance Hewlett
- Division 5 (Redland Bay, Bay Islands): Mark Edwards, Ann Hagen, Junita Grosvenor, Hilton Travis
- Division 6 (Mount Cotton, Sheldon, Thornlands, Victoria Point):Julie Talty, Lacey Healey
- Division 7 (Alexandra Hills, Capalaba, Thornlands):Murray Elliot, Rowanne McKenzie
- Division 8 (Alexandra Hills, Birkdale South, Ormiston, Wellington Point):Tracey Huges, Greg Hill
- Division 9 (Capalaba, Birkdale): Paul Gleeson, James Farrell, Adelia Berridge, Allison Wicks
- Division 10 (Birkdale North, Thorneside): Paul Bishop, Steve Morgan
- Mayor: Karen Williams, Claire Richardson, David Curtin