The Redland State Emergency Service has picked up 10 regional and two state awards at ceremonies held during Queensland SES Week.
The Redland unit has been honoured for its dedication to the community and has won the south-east region SES Unit of the Year award. This is the second consecutive year the team has taken top spot.
The team won three regional gongs, including regional trainer of the year award and operational response of the yearjointly shared by Redland City, Brisbane City and Moreton Bay SES units. They also collected the state awards in the two categories.
The ceremony is held annually to recognise long serving SES volunteers and those who have excelled throughout the year.
Ian Bacon from Cleveland SES group, Redland unit was named regional Trainer of the Year.
With almost 18 years of service under his belt, Mr Bacon is well placed as an SES trainer and has been acknowledged for his outstanding professional leadership, commitment and dedication to planning, training delivery, and members' skills development.
When new members join the unit, it is his job to run the training nights and teach the new volunteer's a range of skills like ropes, knots, ladders, chainsaw and flood boat safety.
His dedication is evident with more than 320 hours committed to his unit and the Redland community within the past 12 months.
He was previously awarded for the 2010-11 QLD Flood and Cyclone Citation, the SES Meritorious Service Medal, the National Emergency Medal and the G20 Citation.
Individual Awards were won by the following Redland SES team members for special contribution to the service:
- Alex Johnson, Redland Bay SES Group: For distinguished service through leadership, dedicated service to the community, and continually developing the knowledge and skill level of fellow members.
- Alexandra Baines, Cleveland SES Group: For distinguished service through exceptional leadership and commitment to the Redland City SES Unit through training, administration and skills development of members.
- Noel 'Geoffrey' Le Noel, Cleveland SES Group: For distinguished service through his outstanding dedication, compassion, and his commitment to educating members within the Cleveland SES Group and Redland City SES Unit.
- Mitch Brushe, Cleveland SES Group: For distinguished service through outstanding professional leadership within the Cleveland SES Group, and continued dedication to the Redland City SES Unit and its community.
- Blake Tomlinson, Cleveland SES Group: For distinguished service through outstanding professionalism, dedication and generosity to Cleveland SES Group and the Redland Community, and deploying to assist communities recover after devastating events.
- Joel Muraca, Redland Bay SES Group: For distinguished service by maintaining operational readiness and providing support to other members of the Redland City SES Unit.
- Kiara Muraca, Redland Bay SES Group: For distinguished service through continued growth as a leader supporting members and operations.