REDLAND Mayor Karen Williams has called for North Stradbroke Island's Harold Walker Jetty to stay until the Dunwich master plan is released.
It comes just days after Simon Walker told the Redland City Bulletin that he feared his father's contributions to the island community would be lost if the jetty named after him was removed by the state government.
Transport Minister Mark Bailey wrote to Mayor Karen Williams on Friday, offering to partly fund a fishing platform in the area to replace the jetty once it was demolished.
It would come at a cost of $100,000 to $300,000.
Mr Bailey said council had let the jetty fall into disrepair, as they were responsible for its management under Transport Infrastructure Regulation.
The transport department had offered to hand over ownership of the jetty to council but the offer was turned down, according to the letter.
Mr Bailey also revealed that the transport department had made state funds available to council for the jetty's maintenance.
But Cr Williams said in her reply that the letter was the first she had heard from Mr Bailey about the government's intentions for the jetty.
She called for it to remain until the Dunwich master plan was released and reviewed by the community.
Council did not respond to questions about whether the government had offered to hand over ownership, whether funding was made available for its upkeep or if it would consider the fishing platform proposal.
Mr Bailey said the government would consider a 50 per cent share of the project costs for a fishing platform and assist with a feasibility study.
Locals gathered at the jetty on Sunday to protest its demolition, which is scheduled for early this year.
Cr Peter Mitchell said he had not heard directly from the government about the jetty and those at the protest were also crying out for more information.
"The state government apparently assessed the jetty in June last year and then decided it was unsafe and uneconomical to repair, so they've had over six months to consult the community and ask them what they would like to happen," he said.
Cr Williams said she had been advised that it was to be removed to make way for a commercial transport hub.
But a state planning department spokesman told the Redland City Bulletin in December that the jetty was not part of the draft master plan.
"Council has always said the master plan should be accompanied by a detailed delivery plan showing who will fund it and the current unrest over the state's plans to remove the jetty show now more than ever the importance of providing this information to the community and council," Cr Mitchell said.
"I call on the state government to leave the jetty where it is while they consult the community on the jetty and the broader plan for Dunwich and I stand ready to help anyway I can."
A master plan draft is expected to be released for public consultation early this year, though the state is yet to announce an official date.
Read more local news here.