W-League: City fail to convert chances against Reds

Adelaide United, outplayed for almost the whole game, showed plenty of character to climb off the canvas to grab a 1-1 draw in their W-League clash with Melbourne City on Sunday evening. Late heroics by Reds goalkeeper Sarah Willacy saw her save a Kyah Simon penalty with just two minutes remaining to preserve a point for the visitors.

The Reds were on the back foot for most of the game after going 1-0 down early in the first half.

But for all of its domination City squandered numerous opportunities to put the game to bed and could hardly complain that it didn't finish off a struggling opponent who had come into this game bottom of the nine-team ladder.

City made its intentions clear right from the start and drove forward in search of an early goal.

Melbourne Matildas's wing back Steph Catley tested Willacy in the second minute with a shot that the Adelaide goalkeeper palmed round the post, and shortly after Alanna Kennedy threatened from a Kyah Simon corner.

City almost made the breakthrough when Simon's effort beat the goalkeeper but was headed off the line by Adelaide's Emma Checker.

But the inevitable occurred two minutes later when City's Ashley Hatch headed home from a Catley cross.

Adelaide threatened sporadically and City goalkeeper Lydia Williams had another injury scare when she came to punch clear an Adelaide attack but landed awkwardly. Williams lay on the ground for some time but eventually got up to carry on.

Hatch then shot wide and Simon was once again denied by the Adelaide keeper Willacy as the Reds managed to keep the deficit to one as they went to the interval.

Hatch went close eight minutes after the restart when she made space well for herself with a couple of stepovers before firing a looping shot just over the bar.

The American then spurned a great chance when played through to go one-on-one with Willacy, her heavy touch forcing her into a hurried shot just wide of the post.

City laid siege to the Adelaide goal but still could not put the game to bed. Japanese international Yukari Kingma shot into the side netting, then Simon broke clear but could not get a shot away.

City skipper Jesh Fishlock broke through with a great chance to shoot. But instead of taking the opportunity herself she slid a pass across to Larissa Crummer who failed to connect. The slightest of touches would have produced City's second goal.

Instead it was the Reds who got on the scoresheet in the 72nd minuted with a goal few would have seen coming. Jenna McCormick crossed into the Melbourne penalty area, the defence failed to deal with it, and Alyssa Mautz drove home.

City thought it could take the points when Willacy brought down Fishlock, but the vistors' goalkeeper redeemed herself by saving the penalty shot.

This story W-League: City fail to convert chances against Reds first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.