WORKS to knock down Cleveland’s Sizzler Restaurant have begun, a week after its last meals were served.
An excavator and crew were at the site on Monday, with the demolition job understood to be planned across the next week.
Last meals were served at the restaurant on Father’s Day, Sunday, September 2.
A drive-through Taco Bell is set to take its place.
Collins Foods had applied to Redland City Council in June to knock down the Sizzler restaurant and build the Mexican fast food outlet.
The only person to lodge an objection to the application, Cleveland resident Bert Maynard, said he and his wife had been weekly customers at Sizzler for about the past 20 years.
Collins also applied for Taco Bell and the next door KFC to trade up to 24 hours a day.
A Taco Bell Australia spokesman said the company hoped Redlanders would embrace Taco Bell.
“...We hope that the good people of Cleveland and the Redlands area will greet Taco Bell with open arms and hungry bellies,” he said.