Man hurt in gas bottle explosion at Alexandra Hills

MAN HURT: The man had been transferring gas from one bottle into another when the explosion was triggered.
MAN HURT: The man had been transferring gas from one bottle into another when the explosion was triggered.

A MAN was taken to hospital with burns to his face and arms after he was burnt in a gas explosion overnight at Alexandra Hills.

Cleveland police said the man, age in his 40s, had been transferring gas from one bottle into another when the explosion was triggered.

The incident happened about 8.20pm at an Edward Street home.

The man jumped into a pool before being treated by paramedics. He was later taken to the Royal Brisbane Women’s Hospital in a serious condition.

A Queensland Fire and Emergency Services spokesperson said two firefighting crews attended the scene.

Crews checked the property for fire before monitoring the air for gas.

“The fire and explosion happened prior to (crews) arrival,” the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson said calls made to emergency services reported a gas bottle on fire in the property’s shed.

Always dial Triple Zero (000) in an emergency.