QUEENSLAND Rail will add extra peak time services to the Cleveland line in a move that has been welcomed by lobby group Rail Back on Track.
The service to the Redlands was dubbed the Misery Line by frustrated commuters in August last year.
Redlands MP Kim Richards said on Tuesday that Queensland Rail would add a 5.32pm Central to Cleveland service on Friday, and services at 6.39am from Cleveland to Central and 5.09pm from Central to Cleveland on Monday to Friday.
Rail Back on Track's Robert Dow said Cleveland commuters had been making representations for a boost in peak time services to Cleveland for years.
"We welcome these initial steps to improve services," Mr Dow said.
"It is wonderful news.
"I am really pleased the Cleveland line has been given these additional peak time services."
Mr Dow said the 5.09pm service had been desperately needed for years.
He said the increased services suggested Queensland Rail may be in recovery from the rail fail saga by the end of the year.
Ms Richards said that 32 extra weekly services adding 14,000 seats would start from Monday, May 13 across south-east Queensland.
"We've listened to customer feedback and analysed patronage data, customer wait times and operational efficiencies to identify 32 priority weekly services we know will benefit our customers right now," Ms Richards said.
"Customers travelling during the busiest times in the morning and afternoon peak on the Shorncliffe, Cleveland, Redcliffe Peninsula, Ferny Grove, Springfield, Gold Coast and Airport lines will benefit.
Oodgeroo MP Mark Robinson said three weekly services were restored but 39 more weekly services were needed to reverse the Labor government's rail fail that cut 42 services from the Cleveland line.
"The Cleveland line was worst hit by Labor's rail fail," Mr Robinson said.
"In response to commuter outcry I launched the Save Our Rail campaign.
"This campaign goes on until the 42 services cut are fully restored.
"Local Labor MPs Don Brown and Kim Richards can pretend that they are doing Redlands Coast commuters a favour by restoring 7 per cent of the services they cut but I will save the cheering for the time they restore the other 93 per cent of services."
Capalaba MP Don Brown said the move came after 46,000 weekly seats were added to the region's rail network in December, with the upgrade of 193 three-carriage trains to six-carriage trains.
"Queensland Rail is on track to deliver further timetable improvements later this year, following the largest driver recruitment and training campaign in its history," Mr Brown said.
"Seventy-six drivers are in training, adding to the 136 drivers who have completed their qualifications and are working on the network, representing a net increase of 73 in service when taking into account natural attrition such as retirement.
"More people are returning to the rail network, after we saw a record 182 million trips on public transport in south-east Queensland during 2017-2018."
Mr Brown said new generation rollingstock trains were continuing to roll out on the network, with 51 available for service.
Lytton MP Joan Pease said further service improvements would be announced later this year.
Monday to Friday: Cleveland line, departing from Cleveland station at 6.39am, arriving Brisbane Central station at 7.34am
Monday to Friday: Cleveland line, departing from Brisbane Central station at 5.09pm, arriving Cleveland station at 6.05pm
Friday: Cleveland line, department from Central station at 5.32pm, arriving at Cleveland station at 6.35pm
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.