Former Tasmanian Labor leader David O'Byrne won't run as a party candidate at the next state poll after his bid for preselection was blocked.
Mr O'Byrne was booted from the opposition party's caucus in 2021 after sexual harassment allegations from an incident more than a decade earlier surfaced.
He has continued to sit in the lower house as a Labor member but separate from his parliamentary colleagues.
State leader Rebecca White called on Mr O'Byrne to quit parliament after the allegations were aired.
Mr O'Byrne was on Friday told his request for preselection at the next state election, due by the first half of 2025, had been denied by the party's national executive.
"This is devastating news for me," Mr O'Byrne said in a statement.
"I have been a loyal Labor supporter for my entire life and member for close to 30 years."
Mr O'Byrne secured some 7500 first preference votes in the southern electorate of Franklin at the 2021 poll, almost a third of Labor's overall total for the seat.
He served briefly as leader after the election loss but stood down when the allegations came to light.
Mr O'Byrne apologised for kissing and sending "sexually suggestive" text messages to a young female staffer when he was a union leader in 2007-08.
A report by Labor described the conduct as inappropriate but not in breach of the party's sexual harassment policy.
"I have never presented myself as the perfect person," Mr O'Byrne said.
"I have made mistakes and I have owned them, but I have never given up and walked away from the work to which I am deeply committed."
Mr O'Byrne said he believed he had the trust of voters in Franklin and would take time to consider his political future.
In voter polling released this week, Labor lost ground on the Liberal government, which has been in minority since May.
Ms White on Friday announced the majority of the party's candidates for the next election amid ongoing speculation an early poll is on the cards.
Labor's national executive has been contacted for comment.
Australian Associated Press